Monday, February 20, 2012

After reading the article "Culture Shock".


I actually do not entirely agree these steps of culture shock. It is too theoretical to apply to the real example. I experienced many kinds of culture shock, however, many of them are not severe and it passed me lightly. This might be because of my personality or because I do not live in other countries for a long time enough to feel the real culture shock. I usually do not feel disappointment or frustration on the unfamiliar behavior. Instead, I like newness of the surroundings because it helps me think outside the box. I am not sure if this could be an example for the culture shock or not. Anyway, to me, there were some kinds of culture shock. For example, when I was in Vietnam, some people walk the street with taking their top off and without their shoes. When I was in Italy, there are many ways to flush the water in the restroom. Sometimes it is hard to find the button to flush the water. There are also many kinds of elevators in the hotel. Some do not have the door inside and others have the strange switch system. Some did not start going up if people did not close the door. It has not automatic system. Because of that system, I have a funny experience. I thought that the door will open automatically after arriving at the floor which I choose, and waiting for the open. However, after a few seconds, the elevators went down again! It’s so embarrassing when I went back to the floor which I got on the elevator. And the special dish which is made with snails in France is really shocking to me. But it’s delicious unlike my expectation. The other kind of culture shock is that some countries allow men to have many wives: polygamy. It is so astonishing. And the last thing is my friend’s experience. When my friend went to USA as an exchange student, she lived in the dormitory. One day, when she got up, her roommate and her roommate’s boyfriend were sleeping in the bed right next to her bed. My friend was so surprised and screamed to them because she cannot understand that boy came into her room. In Korea, Girl’s floors are separated with boy’s floors and going the other sex’s floor is restricted strictly. However, her roommate did not understand why my friend yelled even if my friend tried to explain that it is wrong. This story is also a very big shock to me.

1 comment:

  1. Toilets are too different in many countries. We should have one international standard and have them unified like Germany! ^^

    In some European countries and in Canada they wash their faces with bidets not your anal.

    ReplyDelete